This year we are celebrating 40 years of transforming lives!
Join us on May 18th to celebrate this milestone year.
In 1977, the Center opened the first publicly funded domestic violence shelter in New York State. In 1997 the Center opened its second shelter, Women’s Safe Start and in 2004 the Center opened its third shelter, Women’s Second Start. The Center’s innovative date violence prevention services now reach and counsel more than 23,000 students across New York City.
- The Center Against Domestic Violence works toward a society free of violence and abuse. The Center leads the way by offering education and prevention programs and promoting the well-being and economic independence of survivors of abuse.
Our Principles and Values:
- The Center believes everyone has the right to a life free of violence.
- The Center believes all domestic violence victims can overcome their hardship and transform their lives.
- The Center believes violence is a learned behavior, and with education, anyone can lead a life filled with healthy, meaningful relationships.
- The Center believes the key to ending violence is to begin prevention programs at a young age.
- Through the Center’s Relationship Abuse Prevention Program (RAPP), masters level social workers – sometimes the only MSW in the school – lead workshops, provide individual and group counseling and teach students to be leaders who reach out to their friends to stop bullying, teen dating violence and sexual harassment in their own communities.
- The Center runs three domestic violence shelters which provide a safe haven to victims and helps them start their life anew. During their stay, victims receive housing support, counseling, and free childcare so that once their time is complete, they have the tools and resources they need to rebuild their lives.
- The Center’s Crime Victims Assistance Program provides individual and group support and assistance to apply for crime victims compensation for English and Spanish speaking survivors.
To request more information email Danielle at email@example.com.